Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Samosa - Pallika

Every one has a different recipe for this, I'm sure. Here's how I make them.

If I'm feeling really traditional, then I make a dough with Maida, salt, oil, and ajwain and make a stiff dough with cold water. Knead it, make into small balls, roll and cut into half to make one cover.

For the filling: Boil, peel and mash potatoes (try and use Russet potatoes in the US. Yukon Gold tastes good, but might become gluey if overcooked). Add boiled green peas. Add salt, chopped or ground green chillies or red chilli powder, chopped cilantro, chopped mint, chat masala powder or amchur, garam masala powder, Samosa masala (I coarsely grind together fennel seeds, corriander seeds, and anaar dana), corriander cumin powder, lime juice and mix well. Prepare a cone with the covers and stuff them with the filling, press and seal properly. Deep fry in hot oil on a low to medium flame till golden brown.

For more Samosa ideas, see my blog entry.


Tips:
- For the cover, I use Goya Empenadas covers (you might find it in the mexican food section, and they are frozen).
- Try and grind the samosa masala fresh. It tastes fabulous. I grind it using a small coffee grinder. It can also be used for making aloo paratha or gobhi paratha
- You can either freeze the stuffed raw samosas or better still, half fry and freeze them. I lay them out on a cookie sheet or tray, let them freeze, then remove and store them in a big plastic ziploc bag. This way they won't stick to each other and you'll be ready to fry up some samosas any time you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment