Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Magas - Pallika

I don't have proportions for this. I make it twice a year for L.'s fasts. Of course, I also have the memories of getting a "bau ni goli" from Baa when I was a young girl. I think this was a standard sweet for her Seva.

Heat good amount of Ghee (I usually use about half a cup or so). Add Besan till you get a wet mixture. Keep roasting on a slow to medium heat till it turns a nice golden color, and your home is filled with Roasting besan aroma (Remember, you might not smell it in the kitchen yourself, but people in other rooms can). At this point, take it off the heat, and add ground sugar (in the US, just use regular Sugar). Roughly the same volume as the roasted flour. Mix well so the sugar melts. Add ground cardamom, grated nutmeg, and chopped nuts (optional). Transfer to a greased plate or a small casserole dish, and let cool for about half an hour to an hour. Make small indentations with a knife, and let cool completely. Now make the pieces and store in a cool, dry place.

No comments:

Post a Comment